Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Hailey Ann

Life with a newborn is pretty busy. I wouldn't trade it for anything. On October 26 our lives changed forever! We welcomed our baby girl Hailey Ann Schrader. Here is the story of her beginning:





I had come off of bedrest at 37 weeks and was cleared to go back to work. I was so glad because I was going  a little stir crazy. At my last appointment I was 3cm and 90% and my doctor didn't think I would last very long at work. I went in at 38 weeks and was still the same. No change with my cervix. I had been feeling contractions all week especially at work. Friday morning after working 3 shifts, I was still feeling contractions and they were getting stronger. I decided we needed to go to the hospital. We stopped and got some breakfast at one of the only places that was open at 6am haha. I knew that if this was real labor, I wanted some food in my belly since I know I wouldn't be able to eat for a while. We made it to the hospital and they hooked me up to the monitor and I was for sure having contractions about every 3-4 minutes. They weren't terrible but close enough to admit me. They started some pitocin to get things moving. We were going to have a baby!!! And my doctor was on call so she would be the one to deliver Hailey which I was really excited about it. So Chris and I got settled in and made our phones calls to family and friends. We walked, watched movies, and played cards. About 1pm my doctor came to check me and I was 5cm and ready for my epidural. I got in the jacuzzi tub while I waited for the epidural which was amazing! It really helped with the pain. The contractions were strong to a point where I had to breathe through them and I was getting very quiet because of the pain I was in. The epidural was amazing! Such a weird feeling of your legs being numb and so heavy. I was in a much better mood! Around 5pm or so my doctor came back in and checked me and I was 7cm and she decided to break my water. Once she did that I could see the contractions getting closer together on the monitor. I felt the pressure of them but no pain. I swear like an hour later, I felt a ton of pressure. It was so fast once my water was broken. They wanted me to "labor down" for a bit so that Hailey would come farther down meaning less time for me to push. I was all for that! Everything was getting set up and the doctor was getting all ready and it was time to push. Chris was such a good labor coach! He was so positive and encouraging which is what I needed. I maybe said 10 words during the whole pushing part. I was focused :) When Hailey's head was almost out, they said they couldn't find her heart rate which of course freaked me out. They used a probe on her head to get her heart rate but was having trouble getting it on her head. I told them Please just let me push!!! we were missing all these contractions while she was putting this thing on her head. I just had this feeling that one more and I could get her out. They said ok go and I DID! I pushed for about 40 minutes and here was our baby girl. They put her up and on my chest which was an incredible feeling. I just looked at her and she cried and then I cried and it was AMAZING! After 9 long months here was our baby girl! I was so glad to be holding her! She is perfect. 10 fingers, 10 toes. She was 18 inches and 6lbs 8 oz. We were all surprised about her weight. I had been measuring ahead the whole pregnancy and Chris and all his siblings were 10 pound babies. My doctor even guessed that she would be atleast 7 almost 8 pounds haha. I love my little peanut. It is an amazing love we have for this little girl. She brings so much joy to our lives. I had an amazing birthing experience. My nurses were amazing and I was so grateful for that (especially since I work with them sometimes :)) My doctor was great and really listened to me and what I wanted. We are so glad to have our baby girl!!

2 comments:

  1. Just a heads up, your pics are being stolen on Facebook

    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=249196145254799&set=pb.100004932461812.-2207520000.1418681125.&type=3&theater

    ReplyDelete